Texas Air Coolers

Texas Air Coolers Web Site

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Pay Pal  FaceBook  Business_Page  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 29 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

anyone interested in getting involved in desert racing?

Last edited by LowFatBug on Thu 10 May 2012, 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

last race of season was 10/1/11. was some pretty wild stuff,

will post schedule as soon as next years season is getting ready

here is the race that went to watch, think they said 42 entries started the race and only 40% finished. was 45 mile course and 7 laps. jessie james in his trophy truck finished 1st overall. not sure what the vw classes did but next season is gonna be something pretty wild

http://www.bajaracingtexas.com/chupacabra_300/
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:56 am

I'm building a 5 Unlimited car to start racing.
here are 2 of the texas race groups

http://www.texasoff-road.com/

http://www.bajaracingtexas.com/
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

here is what I am starting out with, it will have 16" of wheel travel in the back and 10" or so in the front and about 10" wider drum to drum and 10" longer wheelbase

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:54 am

here are the trailing arms for the rear I made, they are almost finished but still have a few things to do to them (sheet metal to cover the tubes, shock bracing and heim mount)

4" farther back than stock and a bit over 5" wider than stock. has capacity for 19 1/2" of travel before the cv angle is to much

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:40 am

here is what they look like on the car, still have a bit to do to them but they are almost there. 4 1/2 inches farther back and a bit over 5 inches wider per side than stock. with the tires I'll be running the track width will be somewhere close to 80 inches

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 12 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

here is a pic of the closer to finished rear trailing arms

here is the extended frame head,had to convert from ball joint to kinglink and moved it 5 inches farther out.

front beam is 6" wider
should be getting my long travel coilovers real quick and will be starting on the cage as soon as I get my front trailing arms made (working on them now, will be 2" longer & 2" wider)
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 13 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

here are my 2x2 trailing arms, still have to cut and weld gusset plates.
first pic is stock arms in beam second is just the upper 2x2 and the last,,,, well you can figure it out Laughing

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

picked it up on ebay, won bid with $125. not sure if they make them for lowered but that can be modified Wink
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

leveled the car before I cut the old head off and used level on the beam that was bolted to the kinglink frame head. actually eyeballed the square to tack it in place then measured the outer ends and was 1/32" off on square Surprised so I went ahead and welded it in
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:52 pm

started the cage work, have to wait on more DOM tubeing (1 1/2 seamless) to come in and a new bender that will do up to 180* bends Wink

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

just now seen that part of the question,
a 2x2 arm is 2" wider and 2" longer than stock
my rear arms are 5x4.5, 5 wider and 4.5 longer

doing this makes for longer wheel travel, wider track width and longer wheel base for the back. at ride height I'll have about 104.5 wheel base and in the rear with the wheels and tires I'll be running it'll have somewhere under 80" but not exactly sure just yet
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 31 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

one step farther on front trailing arms, just 1 more step to go til their done. the added gusset is 1/2" plate

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 31 Dec 2011, 9:09 pm

gonna be running 31x10.5x15 tires on the 15x7 wheels for the rear and that is going to put my rear track width at 76.5 inches.

on the front I'm gonna be running 235x75x15 mud tires on 15x5 wheels
will try to get some pics up tomorrow,,,, this thing gonna be a beast!
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm

here is what I have made for my steering, incorperated some super parts. used stock tierods for mock up, will be using heim joints for the ends. will be using a stock steering box with a single tierod running to the centerlink

now didn't realize it til someone brought it to my attention but evidently my digital camera's lens is funky and makes the beam look like it is bent (it is not bent) so if the beam looks bent that means other stuff is distorted as well

also started on my cage work

more pics to come
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 11 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

have my long travel coilovers and front bypass shocks ordered and just got my helmet to helmet intercom ordered as well. have to wait til I get just a bit farther to find out my corner weights to get my springs ordered

just got my racetrim suspension seat the other day

still have a few more small things to get but looking like I'll be able to run (or try to run lol) the first EDR race

will try to post more pics of the progress tonight
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

been catching alot of shit on another site from armchair racers and they keep saying "you need to learn how to fabricate" and "your gonna die" Roll On Floor Laughi only time will tell when I am gonna die but it won't be in my race car! Laughing
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 25 Mar 2012, 7:14 pm

ok been quite a while since I posted pics so here are a few, almost all the cage work is laid out and tacked in place.
tomorrow I will be clipping the top off so I can weld all the tubing from the topside then flip it on it side to weld some on the bottom. will get lots more pics then

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 25 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm

nope, gonna be running with no glass at all, probly will do some kind of quick snap-in panels for transport and storage. reason for no glass is the more air moving through the car the faster the dust clears and the better the ac works.

may end up tryin to put some kind of expanded metal across the windsheild area, just depends on how many rocks we have coming in at us Exclamation
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 25 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

@LowFatBug wrote:
have my long travel coilovers and front bypass shocks ordered and just got my helmet to helmet intercom ordered as well. have to wait til I get just a bit farther to find out my corner weights to get my springs ordered

just got my racetrim suspension seat the other day

that was supposed to be "seats" not seat, can't have co-driver sitting on the floor Shocked

got my intercom and it came from Great Britain, still waiting on my shocks they were ordered on the 5th and only coming from Nevada Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Wed 28 Mar 2012, 1:46 am

ok here are a few more pics

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:01 am

Sad might end up having to get another co-driver, son-in-law got new job in OKC and starts 4 days before the race Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Wed 28 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

think I have new co-driver covered so hopefully this one will work out.

here are some more pics

this is one of the finished front trailing arms, final plating is 1/8" x 3" formed around from tip to tip, should be bullet proof enough so that if I bend one of them I'll f%ck alot of other sh*t up as well Roll On Floor Laughi

all the cage is welded now, did add gusset plates on the B pillar hoop

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

got some rattle can sprayed on the upper of the cage, got shock mout plates made and welded onto the rear trailing arms, got the top going back onto it
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm

Shocked Dont Know I R fire resistant now but,,,,,,,,,,,, take a look at lable on box and on inside of suit

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:29 am

OH DAMNIT!! I was thinking there was something I was forgetting!  affraid

no, actually there is a reason for that, I am making a removeable section to be able to get my fuel cell in and out.
the ID (inside diameter) of the .095 1 3/4 dom is 1 1/2 so going to make slip collars and put grade 8 bolts to hold the brace in place, gonna use same method to hold engine cage in place, will post pics when I'm done
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:50 pm

picked up a second 091 trans to pull the spider gears out of for the super diff I picked up and got it installed yesterday. today I got the trans installed, I fabricated my own mounts using bug solid mount, bus to bug conversion kit and custom fab parts. the bus trans uses the stock shift rod setup Cool the bus to bug kit required the shift rod to be run on top of the tunnel and I was not going to do that No I'll get picks posted of it installed tommorrow if I can remember to take the camera to the shop with me.

still no shocks yet, they were paid for on march 5th and was told it would be 2 weeks for them to be built, now it is over a month and still don't have them. just goes to show that things don't always work out like they are supposed to even dealing with big companies
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

heard something very interesting about the long travel offroad race shocks. was told that they don't start working properly until they reach an opperating temp of 270* and alot of the time after running for a while the shocks actually will be smoking and they have been known to actually catch on fire!
so it's not a good idea to grab your shocks after you been runnin your car hard!
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

got 2 of the 6 shocks today, got the 2.5 x 16's banana
that is a stock 165/15 it is on

here is trans mounted
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

Woot got my 2x12's today!!!!
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:24 pm

got the rear shocks mounted and took alot longer to get the fronts done (well almost done) still have some bracking to do but here is a peek, will get more pick up soon as I get batteries for camera

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:44 am

damn it is getting so close! shold be able to get motor stabed in tomorrow and get wiring done (wiring won't take much cuz not much gonna be needed to hook up lol. springs are supposed to be here tomorrow (today) only cost me $200 to get them next dayed all welding is done (well almost all)
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm

well piss!!!!!!! not going to be able to go do it Sad many things contributed, FOA not getting me the shocks in time because to many things revolved around them so been in a mad scramble to get that stuff done(did get it done). still have a bit to do with the motor but could have gotten it done and installed, still have wiring to do but they said bring it anyway and they would help with that at the track. had money for the trip over there and back, had money for entry fee and membership, only problem is would not have had the cash for gas for the racecar (even though it is built to run on pump gas)

had someone that has been telling me for about 2 months that they wanted my manx clone and another car I have, they told me a week ago they were coming to get the clone but never followed threw, I even told him I would knock some off of the price if he would get it or pay for it now, still a no show. Rolling Eyes

the story of my life,,,, always a day late and a dollar short!
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:40 am

no that is a different race, the race I was tryin to make is today and tomorrow, would have had to have been in odessa today before 4pm today Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

pics of the shocks and springs

here is one of the completed steering setup, wheels are turned and I'll get more pics of it later
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

Flasher cheers banana Flasher IT LIVES!!!

got it popped off today
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Thu 10 May 2012, 1:13 pm

ok I have alot more done since the last pics (will get newer ones up soon as I can get some taken. been driving it some and this thing is very different than any vw I have driven (wonder why lol)
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sat 19 May 2012, 11:51 pm

I got to run it kinda hard today, they harvested then plowed a 150 acre wheat feild, they finished it up yesterday and told me I could play all I wanted in it. made 4 1/2 laps on it. the reason for the 1/2 lap was figured out really quick I needed to hook up the sucker system pump so the motor would run right, already had the system designed and installed just didn't have the pump wired. once I did that it (the motor) decided it liked all that rough stuff Laughing

was runnin most of the time between 2500 and 3500 rpm's in 2nd and 3rd gear, did hit the shift light a few times in both gears, it is set at 4500.

last lap had the guy that lives across from the shop in the co-drivers seat and had him screamin like a little girl affraid Laughing Laughing guess I shoulda took him up the road a few times before heading out in the feild scratch Dont Know Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: video of running the car   Sun 27 May 2012, 12:01 am

just an FYI: flip cell phone can be made to double as (but don't like being used as) a dash cam

bungeed mine to the dash and used a ziptie to keep it open

Back to top Go down
LowFatBug
Desert Racer

PostSubject: Re: Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build   Sun 27 May 2012, 9:38 am

it isn't bad, you don't realize how good it is until you go in something else
Back to top Go down

Desert racing my unconventional class 5 unlimited build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Texas Air Coolers :: Off Road Racing-
Jump to: