VW salvage yard in Athens Texas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VW salvage yard in Athens Texas?

Post  perrinoya on Sat 30 Jan 2010, 5:30 pm

Has anyone heard of this salvage/ used/ very used/ "Junk yard" car lot in Athens TX? My Dad was talking about it but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it. Supposedly there are tons of VW's there for sale......

perrinoya
Interested Member

Back to top Go down

Re: VW salvage yard in Athens Texas?

Post  Canardman on Sat 30 Jan 2010, 4:05 pm

I know the place. It is going on 175 east of Athens towards Frankston /Jacksonville. The following is rumor... Take it how you will:

I heard that the "old man" that owned the place would not sell anything. He passed a couple of years ago, and his estate was in probate for a long time. Just over the past 5-6 months there has been activity there. I would bet that most of the stuff is rusted beyond any use. There might be a treasure here and there. The next time I go to visit my family, I'll stop and get a phone # and name if I can.

Canardman
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

Post  perrinoya on Sat 30 Jan 2010, 4:58 pm

Interesting. I talked with my Dad and he heard:

The old man used to have a repair place here in Dallas. and moved all the cars and stuff out towards Athens and set up shop of some sort...... he planned on giving it all to his kids. After he passed the kids decided they didn't want anything to do with it. so recently the stuff has been up for sale?

I might have to take a weekend trip down there next weekend just for fun and check it out.

perrinoya
Interested Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Canardman on Sat 30 Jan 2010, 5:32 pm

Again... I could be way off. If you find something out, please let us know.

Canardman
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Debugged on Sun 31 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm

About 7 years ago when I was looking for a hood for my 62 rag. I found that place and bought the hood. He is hard to get intouch with and he is a pocket digger. He wants too much for his stuff and he is very wishy washy. He does have a lot of stuff. If he comes down on the prices then I will trade with him. Only if I have no other choice....Thats my take....Dont ask how Much I paid for a three hole no riser hood......I forgot.

Debugged
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat 03 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

I think this is the place you are thinking about. I was on samba this morning and found this...

Don's Bug Barn
Parts, Restoration, Engine, Transmission, Salvage Yards, Vehicle Sales
Athens, Texas, USA
Don's Bug Barn is an early model VW salvage yard located in East Texas. A source for salvaged air-cooled VW parts and restoration quality 1960-1974 VW's including Bugs, Ghias, Buses, Squarebacks, Fastbacks, Dune Buggies and more. The father-son owners have been collecting VW's for over 30 years and now are liquidating the entire collection. We have over 250 Volkswagens to sell as well as stock and performance parts. If you are looking for a new project or something for your VW please send us an email or give us a call.

Don's Bug Barn is located outside Athens,TX on Highway 175 East towards Jacksonville approx I mile past Loop 7 on the right at the corner of Highway 175 East and Henderson County Road 4503 please make an appointment if you would like to come visit.
Contact Info Phone Number is (903) 675-5891 voice mail please leave message

Email: donsbugbarn@gmail.com

Admin
Master & Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Canardman on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 8:14 am

That would be it.

... Also shows that I should stop listening to gossip. Seems it had no truth in it at all

Canardman
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 4:31 pm

Canardman wrote:That would be it.

... Also shows that I should stop listening to gossip. Seems it had no truth in it at all

If you are referring to the "old man that owned the place would not sell anything."
I heard the same thing several years ago from a friend that lives in Sulphur Springs. I believe it's under new ownership now.

Admin
Master & Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Canardman on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 10:16 pm

OK, Stopped by there today on the way home from Tyler. Met Dustin, he is the son of the owner, and seemed to be a really nice guy. he said just give him a holler, and they will make sure to be there. Also met Don (the father) who also seemed like a nice guy. Some pics to drool over

Canardman
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

Post  perrinoya on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 10:23 pm

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man! I gotta go! toooo cool!

perrinoya
Interested Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 5:22 am

Sweeeeeeeeetttt!!!

Thank you sir for posting the pics.

Admin
Master & Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Canardman on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 7:27 am

If anyone has a bit of spare cash, he has a Baja for sale $1500. Looks like it is ready to drive. It looked like it had a 1600sp, cracked windshield and needed some TLC. But for $1500, worth the effort. Also had a couple of rails.

Canardman
Frequent Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top